Get where you are chords
The Different German Prepositions for Woher, Wo and Wohin
I admit, the German language is quite complex regarding its many prepositions with different uses depending on the questions where from, Where orwhere. In this post, I'm going to offer you a table with the most common places as well as some rules.
I. General Rules
1. Where from?
When we come from a place, we use of or out. The difference between these two prepositions is the following: We use out when we come from inside a place, this includes countries and cities (because you have been inside them). Of means we are coming from being near a place, or from a flat place like a square (see point II.2.).
2. Where to?
When we say where we go (to), we also have 2 main prepositions: to other to. The general rule is we use to with places without articles (countries, cities, islands, regions) and to for places with article (the post office / the doctor) as well as people (Sarah) and places with concrete names (McDonald’s, Zara…).
The only exception is the term Home: We say I go home (to go home) but I'm home (to be [at] home).
II. More Detailed Rules
1. Countries, cities, regions (for islands, click here)
The same rules apply for countries, cities and regions:
- Where are you from? - I come from Austria / Lisbon / Andalusia.
- Where are you? - I'm in Sweden / Helsinki / Calabria.
- Where are you driving to? - I'm going to Liechtenstein / Hamburg / Siberia.
Only if the country or region has an article (Switzerland / Turkey / Ukraine / Normandy / Tuscany, the Netherlands / USA, Iraq / Iran / Yemen), it takesin (+ accusative) also withwhere: where are you going?- I'm going to the Czech Republic / Brittany. (If you ask Where, in takes dative case.)
2. Places with a (big) surface
Like in English, in German we consider to be on (on) a flat place or open space such as: the square, the balcony, the terrace, the country / field / village (the same concept applies for islands) and also the toilet is a place we sit on!
- Where are you from? - I come from Barbarossaplatz / balcony / terrace / toilet.
- Where are you? - I'm on the square / balcony / toilet / work.
- Where are you driving to? - I drive to Alexanderplatz / go to the toilet / balcony.
3. People (s Places)
We have special prepositions expressing that you are in / at → at, or go to someone’s place → to. It may be a simple given name (Hanna) or a profession (hair stylist).
- Where are you from? - I come from Hanna / from the hairdresser / doctor.
- Where are you? - I'm with Hanna / the hairdresser / doctor.
- Where are you driving to? - I'm going to see Hanna / the hairdresser / doctor.
4. Places You Go to or Enter
In German, we distinguish between going to (direction) or being near a place (e.g. when I meet someone at the door, or there's a busstop ...) → to. The other aspect is entering or being inside a place (e.g. when I meet someone inside, or I want to buy something) → in. When we come from near a place → of, when we get out of the inside → out.
- Where are you from? - I'm from the hospital / post office. (I've been inside.) / I'm from the hospital / post office.
- Where are you? - I'm in the hospital (or: at) the post (I am inside). / I'm at the hospital / post office (very near / next to the post office).
- Where are you going? - I go to the post office (direction). / I'm going to the post office (I go inside because want to buy / send something).
The same happens with types of water (Sea / beach, lake, river): direction → to, staying near / next to it → at:
Where are you going? - I go to the beach (direction). / I go to the beach (= I'm planning to stay on the beach).
For more detailed examples click here.
Download "Exercise on German Prepositions with woher / wo / woin"exercise-german-prepositions-woher-wo-wann.docx - Downloaded 1632 times - 748 KB
- Honda engine 29cc how many horsepower
- How to treat thrombocytosis treatment
- What is LBC Watchdog
- How to clean tarnished clad brass
- How to use Davin's color mask
- Chronolog whole blood aggregometer platelets
- How do I see my Meralco invoice
- Haruomi Hosono worries about how to use pearls
- U30gt how to root an android
- Apple moonlight porridge recipe how to make
- How to get temperature in Celsius
- Tunceli howzat resmi tatil
- What happened to Jones against Henderson
- Jim Carroll Band People Who Die
- Where three steps above the sky were filmed
- Ceremonialism in Christianity, what is the meaning
- What do epithelial cells mean in urine
- Who is Jobee McCann in Portland Oregon
- How to block sms tracker on android
- What if I let Lilith kill Jack
- What does laughing riot mean
- Brian Howieson Royal Air Force
- The Desktop Media Uploader hangs when I log in
- Where are Hilary and Rebecca Gordon now