What are the metacognitive strategies in learning
Skills and metacognitive strategies in learning
When we talk about metacognition, we mean the development of knowledge and thought activities. Over time, the need has emerged to nurture these types of metacognitive skills and strategies in students as it helps them think for themselves rather than just accumulating knowledge as they have done throughout their lives.
In contrast to the pure accumulation of knowledge, these types of strategies have a transcendental meaning and increase cognitive abilities considerably. In this article about: Metacognitive skills and learning strategies we will inform you in detail and provide some examples.
Definition and modalities of metacognition
As we defined at the beginning of this article, metacognition is becoming aware of our own ability to develop strategies and resources to help us perform a task effectively. You will also learn to regulate our cognitive processes step by step.
There are several modalities in which metacognition can occur, and it is interesting to know which of them are each related to a different cognitive ability.
- Meta-memory This modality refers to the knowledge and awareness we have about our own memory and everything related to it. It refers to knowing about our own memory skills, our limits, our ability to relate previously stored knowledge to new ones, the way we normally access and use information, etc.
- Meta-attention It relates to knowing how our own attention works and how we can control it. For example, notice when we distract ourselves what we can do to get our attention back where we want it, to know which strategies work best to get it, etc. It's about knowing how we can optimize our attention at every required moment.
- Meta-understanding It's about understanding our own ability and knowing how to use it. One of the main flaws in learning is that you read but don't really understand, and that happens to a lot of students. Some of them can even focus on the text and memorize it, which can be helpful in solving the exams. This does not mean, however, that they have learned a lot, because they didn't really understand him. Hence, it is necessary to develop this ability in students so that they become aware of its understanding and learn to optimize it.
- Meta-thought It's about raising awareness of our own thinking. This is of the utmost importance as there is little reflection on our own thoughts and it takes into account our beliefs and ideas that we have developed over time. Instead of focusing on the fact " what you think "it's more about" how You think ".
Examples of skills and metacognitive strategies in the classroom
Below are some exercises and strategies that are commonly used in the classroom to help teach students how to develop their metacognitive skills.
Exercise 1. Derive the meaning of words according to their context
In this exercise, students are shown different phrases where an unknown word is used in different contexts . The aim of the exercise is for the students to deduce the meaning of the unknown word in this way, that is, based on the context and, above all, that they know the importance of using their own strategies to get a result .
Exercise 2. Try different methods to learn something new
This type of learning strategy helps students understand different methods of learning new knowledge, broaden their perspective, and choose the method that is most convenient or practical to learn.
- For example, if you learning a new word, there are several ways you can teach it, such as: B. by relating the word to images, finding a synonym for another word you already know, identifying with the sound, etc.
Exercise 3. Self-assessment exercises
After completing an activity and learning a new topic, they have time to evaluate themselves and reflect on their performance in that specific activity. They ask questions like: How can I improve? What was the hardest thing for me? What was the easiest thing for me?
Further activities for processing metacognition
To read this article about metacognitive skills and strategies To finish, we offer you some final activities to develop metacognition.
Exercise 4. Exercises to develop cognitive strategies
Before and after performing a particular task or exam, the student is asked to analyze what strategies they have implemented for each task.
- For example after an exam that will remind you that you were so focused on learning, what factors made you focus or stop focusing, and how you could do better next time.
exercise 5. Ask questions
It's about, curiosity and the desire of Encourage studentsto learn more and more. Rather than being the one to ask them questions about the topics being discussed in class, the teacher asks students to ask questions of the teachers. This can be done in the classroom when a topic is uncovered or at home when students are doing their homework and reading on a topic. In doing so, attention should be paid to the doubts that arise and that are not well explained for the next day to discuss with the teacher
This article is for informational purposes only as we have no authority to make a diagnosis or recommend treatment. We invite you to see a psychologist to discuss your particular case.
If you want to read more articles dealing with Address skills and metacognitive strategies in learning, we recommend that you enter our category of cognitive psychology.credentials
Cervantes Institute of Algiers. (sf). Analysis and practical examples of activities to develop learning strategies in the classroom. Retrieved November 29, 2018 from //cvc.cervantes.es/ensenanza/biblioteca_ele/publicaciones_centros/PDF/argel_2011/03_barrallo.pdf
- How to use diffuser vase
- How to install pydub
- How to Make a Confederate Flag Banner
- Gdmo how to get tk
- How to zero fiverr script wordpress
- Eisenhower Imaging La Quinta
- How to change a teenager's diaper stories
- How to use hushsmush gta v
- What magpies to feed in the garden
- Howard Johnson 4694 Kingston Rd Baptist
- Dr. Who Merchandise Vancouver
- How to get Sugar Mummy in Mombasa
- How to Use High John Conqueror Root
- Chocolate dipped pretzels wholesale
- How to update the firmware of mygica atv 1200
- How to change voicemail on Android
- How do I install Scat Drag Fast Shifter
- Bonnie jenkins dedication what if
- A3 problem statement what when where
- What does besieged sigh mean?
- What is fluorescein angioscopy
- What makes Thai Iced Tea Orange
- How to Engage Root Outpost
- L oreal efassor binding instructions
- Saenger Merritt 8734 Tying Instructions
- Dessalator 60 l like many gallons
- Dban how to use usb loader
- Plantilla nota de prensa word whomp
- How to remove security labels without magnets
- How to become a ball boy baseball
- Bisolvon Chesty Forte during pregnancy
- How to improve PSP sound quality
- Autocad delay when changing shifts
- Necro rapper who's your daddy movie