When to plant tender green beans
It's that easy to plant beans in the garden
From myHOMEBOOK | July 01, 2020, 4:23 p.m.
Planting beans in your own garden is not particularly difficult, the cultivation is suitable even for beginners. myHOMEBOOK explains how the bean harvest becomes profitable.
Beans are extremely nutrient-rich, easy-care vegetables. As a bed partner in a mixed culture, they are ideal. Since beans are poor eaters, they can be planted in the same place for several years without any problems. Complicated crop rotation rules are not an issue. An additional plus: beans germinate quickly. Depending on the weather, there are around ten weeks between sowing and high-yielding harvest. Early broad bean varieties can be harvested after just six weeks. And then you are spoiled for choice, because boiled beans taste great as a vegetable side dish, in an Italian bean stew or in a bean salad. There is only one thing you should avoid as much as possible: eating raw beans, because they are poisonous.
What types of beans are there?
Gardeners differentiate between French beans, runner beans, and firebeans. All three varieties grow particularly well in loose, humus-rich, sandy-loamy soil. French beans prefer a sheltered place in the sun. Runner beans and firebeans also thrive in partially shaded locations.
Overview of bean types:
- French beans are available as green beans or yellow beans (also wax beans). They need space and reach a height of 50 centimeters.
- Runner beans grow in height and need a climbing aid. You will help the plant if you carefully wind the young shoots around the trellis.
- Fire beans also grow on the pole. Like the runner beans, they are left winders and climb up counterclockwise.
Also interesting: which varieties are suitable as perennial vegetables?
When is the right time to plant beans?
Bean seeds and plants are very sensitive to cold. You should therefore not start sowing before mid-May. If the soil temperature is below 12 degrees, the beans will not germinate or will only germinate very slowly. You should only plant pre-grown beans in the bed after the ice saints. Those who prefer beans give them a head start.
When can you harvest beans?
The harvest season begins in July. Hobby gardeners should harvest French beans in good time, before the individual beans are clearly visible in the pod. Runner beans are ripe when the pods break through smoothly. Firebeans are harvested when fully ripe or as dry beans. If you pick your beans regularly, you can harvest fresh beans until the beginning of October.
Also interesting: Simply grow microgreens yourself
How far should the beans be planted?
Bush beans are sown in rows, runner beans and firebeans in clumps. Here's what it's all about:
- Row sowing: For row sowing, sow a bean seed five centimeters deep at a distance of ten centimeters. After germination, isolate strong plants to 40 centimeters. Pile up French beans when they are four inches high. That gives them more stability. The ideal row spacing for French beans is 50 centimeters.
- Clump sowing: When sowing clumps, sow six seeds in a circle. Place a climbing rod in the middle. Keep a distance of 40 centimeters between the clumps.
Also interesting: the best time to grow kale
Beet neighbors - which fruits and vegetables go well with beans?
Savory, strawberries, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, radishes and celery promise a good neighborhood. Peas, fennel, garlic, leeks and onions are considered bad neighbors.
What to do with the bean rust?
Remove leaves that have been infected with bean rust and change the bed next year. After harvesting, clean the climbing supports thoroughly with boiling water, this will kill the fungal spores. And protect your beans from bean flies with an insect net or old white curtains.
- What is D Trix hairstyle called Brooklyn
- What is Human Trafficking Awareness Day 2017
- Aleksander majewski adwokat wachowski
- Waheguru status for WhatsApp or Bangla
- How does LSD taste
- Invisible WhatsApp Cydia Tweak
- What does an oologist collect
- Howard Shum Rofta Group Ltd.
- Mcwhorter and sunada 1977 porosity of sand
- Suzhou travel blog soochow universitaet
- How to pair sony smartwatch mn2
- Cerazette side effects Dizziness when lying
- How to find an open file in aix
- What are signs of appendicitis in adults
- The ticket to Disneyland costs everywhere
- How to bypass Internet censorship in Indonesia
- C how to program deitel free ebook
- Asian food wholesale
- How old is Yoda in episode 4
- What is New York Public Goods Pool
- See ducks hunting everywhere
- What is the result 0x800f0805
- How to scan viruses in Pendrive
- What does te qifsha ropt meaningful quotes mean