Hrachowina window influences meditation
A storage room, bare walls. Cold light illuminates the stacks of wooden boxes. The task is to collect the green glasses that are here and there on the boxes. But suddenly there are spiders everywhere. Thick, hairy, fearsome spiders crawl across the ground, clinging to the walls. In one corner of the room is a green glowing glass. Spider legs protrude from underneath. The heart is beating. The body reports: fear.
Here - in the basement of the Max Planck Institute for Cognitive Neurosciences in Leipzig - it is neither about arachnophobia nor anxiety disorders. Rather, brain researcher Tania Singer and her team want to investigate how meditation changes people. The programmed nightmare, internally called "Room 101", is part of a research project. The test subjects are projected onto the retina through a helmet to find out whether the mental training helps people to better regulate their emotions.
Many people still consider meditation to be a purely religious practice, which is mainly engaged in red-robed monks in the Himalayas. In fact, it is a psychological technique with which in principle every person can influence his or her mind and health.
The question is no longer whether meditation has an effect - but which one
It is now well established that meditation leaves traces in the brain. The psychologist Richard Davidson from the University of Wisconsin-Madison was able to demonstrate in 2007 that a three-month meditation training course sharpens awareness. The participants recognized numbers that are hidden on a screen between numerous letters faster than before the training. And Sara Lazar of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston reported that the training even affects the morphology of the brain. The brain scanner showed that it shrinks the almond kernel, a structure in the brain that is involved in controlling fear, among other things. At the same time, the gray matter had increased in areas of the brain that are associated with compassion, for example.
"The brain is able to change, and just as we learn a new sport, we can also train skills like attention or compassion," says Richard Davidson. "It's not voodoo."
This is how Tania Singer sees it: "The question is actually no longer whether meditation has an effect, but which meditation has which effect, how big it is and how long it takes for it to appear." This is exactly what she is investigating in her project, in which 17 meditation teachers and 160 test subjects in Leipzig and Berlin are involved. Participants meditated at least six days a week for nine months. At the same time, they were checked physically and mentally by the researchers: How high is the level of the stress hormone cortisol in the saliva? How often do they cooperate in specially developed computer games? How happy are you And how fast is your heart racing when you walk through room 101? Each participant's brain was also scanned five times.
- Gajas a Fazer Bons brooches wholesale
- Soul blade fpse android how to
- What does lpn stand for in shipping
- What does 24 hours in advance mean?
- What are goat humps
- How to join the Qatar Football Club
- How does the iPhone work with Toyota Entune
- Super white cornmeal what is it
- What does everything that is fun mean
- How does the doctor test for Schamberg's disease
- How to change pctfree to oracle 11gr2
- Yaoi, where uke becomes pregnant
- Where love lives Alison Limerick Zippy Saecke
- What does speed x equality of mass mean
- Felipe lorenzi wojciechowski family crest
- Gbs positive when to go to the hospital
- Who is Jobee McCann in Portland Oregon
- Ginger, onion juice and honey for something
- When will Aries and Priya meet again?
- Stein's Gate crashes when loading software
- Whoopi goldberg daughter alexandrea martin fiance quotes
- 2006 Mount Langi Ghiran Nowhere Creek Shiraz
- Blocked on kik how do you know that
- Access to Motorola modems
- How to fill the space between the front teeth
- Fallout New Vegas, where knight Lorenzo is
- What is an Independent Presidential Candidate
- How to homogenize milk at home
- How to cheat a ck2 title
- How to remove shortcuts from the taskbar
- How is the transport connected with physical experiments?
- Whichever man dies against the Word
- How to become a flawless distributor king
- What does Dou Shimashita Ka