Where to fill CO2 tanks in Edmonton

Man killed in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning identified as Edmonton music advocate

The victim of what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning in Edmonton on Sunday has been identified by friends as Steve Steffler.

The Twitter account Counterfeit Jeans shared a sad message confirming the news.

“Absolutely gutted that friend and owner of our label, Sometimes Music, has passed away. Steve Steffler was a huge advocate and supporter of Edmonton's indie music scene as both owners of Sometimes and past-operator of Bohemia, ”the message read.

Another friend shared on Facebook that Steffler "had a lasting impression on my life."

“He was one of the first to take a chance on Ramshackle Day Parade and the local noise scene, back when no one would let noise shows happen at any other bars,” read a message shared by Parrkerr Jamz Tazin.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: 1 dead, 4 hospitalized after elevated levels of carbon monoxide ’detected in Edmonton home

Emergency crews were called to a home north of downtown at around 6:30 p.m. Sunday night, where they found elevated levels of the deadly gas.

READ MORE: What you should know about carbon monoxide poisoning

Police said a man in his mid-30s - who was a tenant in the basement - was found dead along with a pet. Four other people were sent to hospital for precautionary reasons.

A car with the website sometimesmusic.com on it was parked outside the home.

The EPS said Monday that, while an autopsy still has to be completed, the cause of death "does appear to be CO poisoning." Police said it is not suspicious in nature.

© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc