Howardstown Ky Dam project
$ 110 million approved for the Kentucky Lock and Dam project, McConnell says
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has approved $ 110 million for the Kentucky Lock and Dam project in its annual budget, per the request of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, his office said.
"Kentucky continues to take full advantage of our location at the heart of America's inland waterways system," the Kentucky Republican said in a statement. "The Army Corps' Work Plan will reinvest in our Commonwealth's vital infrastructure, promoting economic growth and supporting our maritime workers. "
The money is part of an effort to build a new and larger lock and dam system on the Tennessee River, Mile 22.4, in Livingston County.
A lock and dam system allows vessels to move along a body of water with varying water levels by entering a lock, which is a chamber with gates at each end that open and close. When one gate opens, the water flows into the next lock at a lower level, taking the boat with it.
Politics:McConnell guarantees 'nightmare' if Senate Democrats ax the filibuster
According to the corps, McConnell said, the dam's "shipment delays are among the longest in the country, hindering the more than $ 5 billion worth of commodities that flow through the lock every year."
"This funding allows critical portions of the project to proceed in an efficient manner, sustaining and accelerating the many benefits this project delivers to Kentucky and the region," stated Matt Ricketts, chairman of Waterways Council Inc., a national advocacy group. "We remain grateful for Senator McConnell's leadership. "
The $ 110 million will go toward awarding a construction contract of between $ 250 million and $ 500 million to build a 1,200-foot extension of the lock. However, it is hard to pinpoint exactly how much will be needed to complete the project, project manager Don Getty said.
"The type of construction we do is underwater and underground, and often times, we don't know what we're going to encounter until we get down to it," he said.
The new round of funding will not solely go toward awarding a new contract, though, he said. The team of engineers has other open contracts, the funding will be used for, to pay for labor and other unpaid costs.
Getty said the Army Corps of Engineers expects to award the contract before September, and construction will probably start in December.
The project was first approved in the Water Resources Development Act of 1996, which aims "to provide for the conservation and development of water and related resources, to authorize the Secretary of the Army to construct various projects for improvements to rivers and harbors of the United States, and for other purposes. "
For subscribers:How pandemic changed flu season in Kentucky and beyond
A 1992 report initially estimated the cost of the project to be $ 393.2 million, which was expected to be funded by the Treasury Department's general fund and the Inland Waterways Trust Fund.
The Army Corps of Engineers originally thought the project could be completed in nine years, but it has been extended to 28 due to funding issues and an unpredictable geographic landscape, Getty said.
Following Senate approval, the House authorized amendments to the law last December, which included an additional $ 1.2 billion for the lock and dam.
In addition, $ 8.75 million will go toward improvements at the Rough River Lake Dam in Western Kentucky. A 2012 safety report on the dam found it needed structural improvement to lower the risk of flooding to surrounding homes and communities.
However, that project is still underfunded, so construction is pending additional money in order for the engineers to award the contract, said Will Ailstock, the project's manager.
His team is still awaiting a new estimate, but he said a previous project had a bill upward of $ 140 million.
The team of engineers needs to install a concrete wall to stop water seepage from going into the dam's rock foundation and under the dam.
Top headlines:Snow showers expected in Louisville on Wednesday
Contact Ayana Archie at [email protected] or follow on Twitter @AyanaArchie.
- Where is Gay Marriage Legal 2012 Card Baro
- What is my team store at Redcliffe College
- Glycemic index of whole grain oatmeal
- How much is Michelle Riggi capable
- Chambers and Soehne flooring wholesale
- Who is Big Data Borate Quotes
- How to quote Chicago style museum poster
- Risen 2 How To Open Oyster Shells
- What is the definition of te amo
- Nano Block Duck Tie Instructions
- How many years between shem and abraham
- Use of the novel pregnancy test kit
- 2003 Honda Civic rattle when accelerating
- Whatever happened to high by eastenders bbc
- Badshahi status for WhatsApp about Allah
- Which films are played at Cineplex
- How to install neogamma r8 beta 15
- How to Install Spin Tire Map Mods
- How to make a Teslas egg out of Columbus
- Evelyn Howard artist indian
- What does Cherubi evolve from?
- Search for acquisition costs in wholesale
- Who wrote the piece mudrarakshasam
- Who makes Roisin's chocolate for hours
- Xander-centric doctor who crosses over
- Who is Kelly Nishimoto married to
- Who is Paris Bennett related to mom
- Icosidodecahedron How many faces does a cylinder have?
- Mixer 2.49 how to decimate a network
- How to carry corpses on the train
- Tsuna and Reborn Lemon Fanfiction Where Naruto
- Handwritten California is an example of how to write
- How many medics in an ambulance
- How do I get a visa sticker